In partnership with AAJA, ABC News is launching the 2020 ABC News/AAJA Alexa Valiente Summer Internship.
This internship is named in memory of Alexa Valiente who was a proud member of AAJA and passed away in 2019 at the age of 27. Alexa started her ABC News career as an intern for the digital team and rose to a Producer. Alexa was well known for her passion for journalism, curiosity and great storytelling.
We believe that each intern that will come through AAJA will embody these same characteristics and have just as much of a lasting impact on the important work we do each day as Alexa.
At ABC News, you’ll help us tell stories that touch millions of people around the globe and new ways for us to connect with the world. Now is your opportunity to unleash your skills….
As an intern at ABC News, you will perform a variety of editorial and production duties that are invaluable to one of our many shows and digital platforms. Some of the departments or shows you could be working for are Good Morning America, World News Tonight with David Muir, 20/20, Nightline, abcnews.com, ABC News Live and The View.
You will play an integral role behind the scenes to manage the enormous flow of information that comes in every day.
Click here to apply. Application Deadline: April 21, 2021
Please reach out to email@example.com if you have any questions.
A day in the life…
- Assisting staff with all aspects of production
- Booking, story development & research
- Shoot prep, shoot assistance & edit support
- Covering breaking news, logging & transcribing
- Coordinating administrative duties within the office
What you bring to the role…
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Passion for news stories
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Strong communication and writing skills
- Strong, detail-oriented work ethic, self-motivation and positive attitude
An AAJA student has the opportunity to be placed in a paid internship with ABC News.
- Paid for 12 weeks, 40 hours per week (rate will be discussed at the time of offer)
- Held from May/June to August/September
- Internship will be held in our New York City or Washington DC Office
- Stipend to go toward housing (based on your location)
- Programming during the summer includes speaker events with ABC News leaders and networking opportunities with recruiters for full-time positions
- Undergraduate students in their Junior or Senior year
- Currently enrolled in an accredited college or university and taking at least one class – OR – be a recent graduate of an accredited college or university within the last six (6) months
- Active AAJA student member
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office with an emphasis in MS Word, Access, Excel & PowerPoint
- Previous internship experience, either print or broadcast
- Some experience related to social media including Twitter, Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram, YouTube
- All candidates must be eligible to work in the US
The following materials are required:
- In 150-200 words, state why you want to pursue a career in broadcast journalism and what you hope to gain from an internship at ABC News
- Letter of recommendation