The AAJA-NY Chapter is offering two $1,500 internship stipends for AAJA student members: one awarded to a spring intern and another for a summer intern. You must be a current undergraduate or graduate student interning part-time or full-time in the journalism industry for at least 10 weeks.
- Send a 300- to 500-word essay explaining your financial needs, journalism goals and your expected graduation date.
- You must also send proof of internship (a letter from your supervisor stating the start and end date of your internship) and your most recent transcript. The deadline to apply for the spring internship stipend is April 1. The deadline for the summer internship stipend is June 1. Winners will be selected by April 8 (spring) and June 8 (summer) and will receive the first half of the scholarship ($750). The second half ($750) will be given when the winner shows they have completed their internship through confirmation from the employer.
- Please send all required documents and the essay to firstname.lastname@example.org by the respective deadlines.
Eligibility and rules:
1. Applicants must have a serious interest in pursuing journalism as a career.
2. Applicants must have already secured a 2014 spring or summer internship, respectively, before applying for the internship grant. The stipend is to be used toward living expenses and/or transportation during your internship. Accepted applicants will be required to sign a waiver acknowledging this.
3. AAJA student membership (in good standing) is preferred and strongly encouraged for all applicants, but not required to apply. Those selected to receive a stipend will be required to sign up for AAJA student membership. Click here renew your membership or sign up.
4. An essay, current transcript and a letter from your internship’s supervisor must be submitted no later than April 1 (spring) and June 1 (summer).
5. There is no location requirement for this scholarship.
6. The recipient of the spring stipend will not be eligible for the summer stipend.
7. Recent students who have graduated in the last 12 months may be eligible to apply.
8. To select the student winner, the scholarship committee considers several factors, including financial need, journalism experience and AAJA participation and volunteering.
Please email email@example.com with any questions.
1. Application information will only be used internally by AAJA to promote student opportunities and for program evaluation and planning.
2. AAJA does not share applicant information with third parties.