The AAJA-NY Chapter is offering one $1,500 internship stipend for AAJA student members for the fall semester. You must be a current undergraduate or graduate student interning part-time or full-time in the journalism industry for at least 10 weeks.
The scholarship committee considers several factors to select the winner, including financial need, journalism experience and AAJA participation and volunteering.
- Send a 300- to 400-word essay explaining your financial needs, journalism goals and your expected graduation date.
- You must also send proof of internship (e.g., a letter from your supervisor stating the start and end date of your internship) and your most recent transcript. The deadline to apply for the fall internship stipend is Friday, September 26. Winners will receive the first half of the scholarship ($750) after they are notified of winning. The second half ($750) will be given when the winner shows they have completed their internship through confirmation from the employer.
- Please send all required documents in ONE email to
Eligibility and rules:
1. Applicants must have a serious interest in pursuing journalism as a career.
2. Applicants must have already secured a 2014 fall internship, respectively, before applying for the internship grant. The stipend is to be used toward living expenses and/or transportation during your internship. Accepted applicants will be required to sign a waiver acknowledging this.
3. AAJA student membership (in good standing) is preferred and strongly encouraged for all applicants, but not required to apply. Those selected to receive a stipend will be required to sign up for AAJA student membership. Click here renew your membership or sign up.
4. An essay, current transcript and a letter from your internship’s supervisor must be submitted in one email no later than September 26.
5. There is no location requirement for this scholarship.
6. Winners of past NY chapter internship scholarships are not eligible.
7. Recent students who have graduated in the last 12 months may be eligible to apply.
Please email email@example.com with any questions.
1. Application information will only be used internally by AAJA to promote student opportunities and for program evaluation and planning.
2. AAJA does not share applicant information with third parties.