Here’s a look back at what was discussed in the meeting on Monday:
Monday, February 06, 2012
Start time: 6:46 p.m.
Adjourned: 7:56 p.m.
Helen Kwong, Paul Cheung, Chris Chiang, Maria Sandoval, Leezel Tanglao, Bao Ong, Bea Hundal, Suzy Guttler, Thomas Chan, Heather Schultz, Jenny An, Sital Patel (via conference call)
President’s Report (Maria)
Media Access Workshop
● We’re looking for food sponsors. If none, will plan to use your own money. Looking for more volunteers.
● Corky Lee will let us know costs of handbooks. He’s reaching out to community contacts.
● Maria reaching out to editors
● UNITY mixer proposed. Hold before March 16, which is early bird deadline. Include NABJ and SAJA. Fox Latino organization talked about holding a sponsored mixer before the early bird deadline.
● Need to get members to register. AAJA is “expected” to get 600 people to attend.
● Chapter decided not to host convention. Board was split on decision. Maria decided to veto. Maria says we should pull resources to pitch in 2014.
● New deadline to pitch for 2013 is Feb. 15th.
● Kathy Chow, AAJA executive director, is doing a conference call in near future about convention planning.
Volunteers for College Fair
● Romey Louangvilay in charge with planning this event. Need two volunteers for NYU on Feb. 24 from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. and four volunteers at Columbia on March 24 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. and 1 to 5 p.m.
Secretary’s Report (Anita not in attendance)
● Bao took notes for Anita.
● Is another resume critique workshop happening?
Treasurer – Update (Chris)
● $39,194.51 is current balance.
● Chris working on treasurer report for national office this week.
● All tickets sold for “Speak Up Connie” event that Chris organized.
VP of Digital (Bea)
● Talking to Sree for a social media workshop.
VP of Print (Bao)
● Trivia bowl update: We have about 15 weeks out for sponsorships. Hit up respective employers. Looking at 6 to 10 p.m. on May 18th. Tentative name is Tea Cup.
● We need to send a revised budget to Chris.
VP of Broadcast (Brooke)
● Not in attendance.
National Reps (Sital and Paul)
● Sital: Chapter is sponsoring Chinatown Restaurant Week (March 9th to 18th). We’ve been asked to send something out before February 24. We plan to put together a chapter dinner during this restaurant week for a chapter meeting.
● Paul: Talked about board ethics. As a member or chapter member, need to keep in mind that we represent AAJA. We cannot use our affiliation with AAJA for our own benefits. Code of conduct has been sent out to the board.