AAJA-NY met on Feb. 11, 2013 at Congee Village.
2013 AAJA events overview
- Maria S. created a grid of AAJA-NY events in 2012 and planned events for 2013.
- Tentative 2013 events
- Feb: AALDELF dinner, Mar: membership mixer, Columbia Job Fair, April: Social media workshop (tentative), May: Heritage Festival, Trivia Bowl, August: Convention, Dec: Holiday Party
Secretary, Mentorship Position
- Heather stepped down due to scheduling conflicts. Board is organizing a special election for secretary and a non-voting Membership chair position. Chris is temporarily filling in as the membership chair.
- Checking $44,991.72
- Checking 2 $1.00
- Savings $9,030.00
- Total $50,961.37
Trivia Bowl Updates
- Board is considering Broad St. Ballroom for Trivia Bowl
- Keynotes: Reaching out to Anderson Cooper to host the opening reception
- Looking for volunteers to secure sponsorships for the gala tables, sell booths to media and non-media businesses, reach out to local NY-based companies for donations
- The goal is to revamp gold/platinum membership: targeting perks that cater to women/families (yoga/self-defense classes, beauty products), that capture the NYC experience (empire state building, NBC passes to top of the rock, gym classes, free liquor giveaways). There are currently 50 platinum members and 500 gold members.
- Arthur and Tom are looking through workshop proposals
- Friday- SAJA plenary in the AM, workshops and silent auction; Saturday- ethnic media day
Local AAJA NY Website
- New local website to be launched, w/ a section that introduces members and board members
- Joy is handling social media
- Membership Suite will also be launched soon.
- AAJA national board meeting Mar 16-17, GM is sponsoring a reception
- Board members must raise $300 for the Power of One before the spring board meeting.