AAJA- Meeting February 12, 2014
Conference Call 7 p.m.
I. Financial (update from Carolyn)
1. The audit went well; will repeat for next year
2. Need to vote on transferring majority of funds to Dreyfus (higher interest earning than checking)
a. $46,800 in checking/about $9 K in Dreyfus
b. Need funds for deposit for Trivia Bowl (last year was $4K)
II. Trivia Bowl (Bao and Leezel)
- In addition, to Broadstreet Ballroom, looked into Time Inc, which we can get free, but there is a mandatory catering cost of $8 K, and may not be able to bring in our own wine/beer. (which we get sponsored/Tiger?)
- Bao is organizing sponsors for food.
- Looking for May 15 date.
- Bao sent out list of targeted sponsors, but it’s best to have contacts at each outlet. (reach out to membership list to find members w/connections to those sponsors)
- Raffle prizes. List of diff. categories (hotel, sports memorabilia, food). Raffle (last yr. made $3K) brings in more money than silent auction.
- Michelle Yu at SNY for raffle items and to co-host?
- Ti-hua Chang will co-emcee event. Vivian Lee?
- How to find sponsorship in banker/lawyer crowd? Asian American Affinity groups are good points of contact.
- Volunteers—will send query to entire Listserv, but for those who commit Yin will create a volunteer e-mail list for that specific event.
- Bao and Leezel are fairly set with strategic work planning event, but will need volunteers day of event.
III. ELP, Voices, J-Camp and Scholarships
- Need to get word out—listserv, website and social media.
IV. National convention
- Need to encourage members to sign up for convention. Pre-convention mixer ? Raffle for a discount ticket ?
V. Columbia J-School Career Expo in end of March
1. AAJA Columbia student members set up a table ?
VI. Membership renewal
1. Divided up email list; board members are emailing membership to gently remind them to re-new dues for this year.